2016 is going to be a year full of new car launches in India. At the 2016 Delhi Auto Expo, we got a glimpse of what all new models are headed our way during the course of the year. While some of the cars have already been launched, others will be hitting the showrooms in a soon while. Let’s take a look at the top 5 upcoming cars of 2016,
1. Toyota Innova – Come May 2, 2016, Toyota will launch the much anticipated second-generation Innova in the market. After being on sale for nearly a decade, the first-gen Innova still reigns atop and is unarguably the segment benchmark. With the new model, Toyota is going to raise the bar even higher. On the inside, it has been completely revamped and gets a raft of new features and equipment. It will have two brand new engines on offer including 2.4 litre and 2.8 litre, four-cylinder, turbo-diesel engines. The former comes mated to a 5-speed manual transmission and the 2.8 litre motor will have a six-speed automatic gearbox. The new Innova is expected to be priced between Rs 13 lakh to Rs 18 lakh.
2. Honda BR-V – Honda will be launching its all-new midsize crossover in India in May 2016. Called the BR-V, the new model is based around the same basic architecture as the Brio, Amaze and Mobilio, albeit it looks far more appealing and aggressive. Under the hood, the BR-V gets Honda’s tried and tested 1.5-litre petrol and diesel engines. A 6-speed manual gearbox would be standard while the petrol will also have a CVT automatic on offer. The BR-V will be priced between Rs 9 lakh and Rs 13 lakh.
3. Volkswagen Ameo – The Ameo will mark Volkswagen’s entry into the flourishing compact-sedan segment. Powertrain options on the new Ameo will include a 1.2 litre, three cylinder, naturally aspirated petrol engine and a 1.5 litre, four cylinder turbo diesel engine – both sourced from the Polo hatchback. A five-speed manual gearbox will be standard, while, like the Vento, the Ameo diesel will be offered with a seven-speed DSG automatic gearbox. Prices are expected to start from Rs 5.5 lakh and go up to Rs 8 lakh.
4. Datsun redi-GO – Billed as an “urban crossover”, the Datsun redi-GO is based on the Renault-Nissan alliance’s CMF-A platform- same that underpins Renault Kwid. As a result, the Datsun redi-GO is expected to be even more affordable than its French cousin. It also looks a lot chunkier than the Renault Kwid. Like the Kwid, the redi-GO will be offered with a 0.8-litre, three-cylinder petrol engine paired to a 5-speed manual gearbox. Prices should be in the range of Rs 2.50 lakh – Rs 3.20 lakh.
5. Maruti Suzuki Ignis – The Ignis will be the third “premium” offering from Maruti Suzuki after the S-Cross and Baleno. Inevitably, it will be sold through Nexa outlets across India, and not through regular dealerships. The Ignis is a mini-crossover that is expected to be launched around the festive season of 2016. It is based on the same platform as the Baleno hatchback and is expected to come powered by the same set of 1.2-litre petrol and 1.3-litre diesel engines as the Baleno. Expect it to be priced between Rs 5 lakh and Rs 8 lakh.